Saturday, February 17, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom!

February 18 is my Mother's birthday! Happy Birthday mom! Boldog Születésnapot, Anyukam! My mother, Margit Grosz Cohen, was born in Veszprem, Hungary in 1928. The following photographs should serve as evidence that my mother is one of the cutest chicks in the history of the world. Above, Mom around 1932 with my Aunt Etus. Below is one of my Mom's favorite pictures, in her Hungarian national dress, taken just before WWII.My Mom's family survived WWII intact - an amazing epic story which is worth a book in itself - except that my mother became a refugee in Austria during the war. Thanks to the kindness of an Austrian doctor's widow, Frau Schmidt, my Mom was able to survive a year in Nazi Salzburg and the following years until she was able to emigrate to the US in 1948. After arriving in the states, Mom worked as a governess before finally settling in New York and working as a seamstress. My father met my mother around 1951 in New York. He was a young NY Police officer, and there was a dance set up by the Ladies Garment Workers Union with the New York Jewish Policeman's Association.... the rest is history...Now, I ask you... is that a good looking couple or not? My parents married in 1952.And pretty soon, along came my sister, Pam. And then, on February 18th, 1956... me. Yes, I was my mother's birthday present that year.Still... is this not the Cutest Mom in the World?And fulfilling all expectations, she still is! Nothing makes me happier than to have my parents with us, still healthy and happy after so many years.Happy Birthday, Mom!

4 comments:

Pink Granite said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom, Margit!
And Happy Birthday to you as well!
Wishing you both all the best...
- Lee

pharmagirl said...

Hi Bob. That was a beautiful tribute to Mom. I can't tell you how much it touched her, and me. And Happy Birthday to you as well. The Fifties aren't that bad, in my opinion! And you are still a handsome Devil, with that goatee. Kisses, Pam

Inna B said...

happy birthday, Bob & Mom!

the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Happy birthday--
biz 120